Anthropologie offers accents to the maxi skirt.
When summer left many months ago, so did maxi skirts. We put them in storage and pulled out countless styles of blue jeans. I don’t know about you, but I miss all those floor length skirts! Comfortable, flowing and chic, the maxi skirt was a staple in my summer wardrobe – but who’s to say it can’t be a staple in my winter wardrobe too?
Yes, that’s right – it’s not unheard of to wear a maxi skirt in the winter. In fact, right now the fashion trend is becoming popular. When styled correctly, the winter maxi can look effortlessly glam and fashion forward. Here are 10 tips on how to style maxi skirts in the winter:
- Layers, layers and more layers! The key to not freezing in this style is to pile on the layers! Adding more pieces completely takes away that light and airy summer look that skirts have. A long cozy cardigan and a beanie will keep you looking cool, while keeping warm.
- Sport a plaid top. Not only is this a different way to wear a plaid shirt, but wearing a dark pattern with a scarf will scream fall and winter. Try a plain black maxi skirt for this outfit. It will allow the patterned shirt to be the center of attention.
- Add a denim jacket for some contrast. A jacket provides great contrast to the light weighted skirt. Denim is typically only worn in cooler months, so it will give a winter vibe without trying.
- Wear a sweater – but tuck it in. Sweaters with maxi skirts can tend to look bulky. Instead, try front tucking your sweater in. This will provide a streamlined look.
- Don’t tuck it – belt it. If you hate the tucked in look, but can’t have the bulk either, try belting your sweater around your waist. It will slenderize the puffiness of the sweater, but continue to keep the look streamlined.
- Two words: heeled booties. In the summer, we wear maxi skirts with sandals or flip-flops. So what does that leave us to wear with them in the fall and winter? Heeled booties are a great option for those who don’t like to wear heels or want some extra warmth.
- Try a fur vest with your maxi. The fur vest is already a winter staple this year. Pair it with a long sleeve shirt, a statement necklace and a maxi and you’ll be a showstopper this season.
- Pair it with a fitted blazer for a professional and glam look. In the winter months at work, there are few options that don’t involve long pants. The winter maxi is the perfect way to stay classy while giving your cold weather wardrobe some more options.
- Go for the Audrey Hepburn. A black and white stripe shirt with a black maxi is a classic color combination. Add a floppy hat and a cute scarf and you can’t go wrong.
- Throw on a utility or a leather jacket. Add a little edge to that skirt with a tough looking jacket. The dark colors mixed with the heavy fabrics will leave you more than prepared for that cold air.
There you have it! Ten instantly winter-appropriate style tips. One of the best places to find a huge variety of maxi skirts is at Anthropologie, located at 470 Bloomfield Avenue in Montclair.