MPL hosts Indie Author Day in hopes of emerging writers together.
The Montclair Public Library (MPL) will be celebrating local writing communities on Oct. 8 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the main library auditorium. Indie Author Day is a nationwide event sponsored by BiblioBoard. It is ultimately designed to bring local emerging writers together to meet and learn from each other as well as participate in author panels and lectures. This is not limited, but can include discussion on self-publishing, self-marketing and other hot issues for indie writers, in addition to short readings and book signings.
The public is encouraged to attend this free and open to the public special event. One will have nothing to lose, but meet dozens of local aspiring authors, poets and graphic novelists, and to discover new talent. Local writers will be selling their materials on-site for visitors to pick up their next favorite book.
“Montclair and its surrounding towns have vibrant writing communities and avid book lovers,” said John Daquino, Information Specialist at MPL and event organizer. “We are thrilled to provide a space where local emerging writers can connect directly with readers and each other.”
Registration is encouraged, however drop-ins are welcome. To register and for event details, visit montclairlibrary.org/indieauthorday.
Below is the event schedule:
● 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.: Author readings and promotions.
● 12 to 1 p.m.: Jane Tabachnick (Book Publishing and Marketing Consultant) lecture on book publishing and marketing.
● 1 to 2 p.m.: Amy Edelman (Founder of IndieReader) & Ed Charlton (Founder of Scribbulations) lecture on valuable tips for emerging writers.
● 2 to 3 p.m.: Indie Author Day virtual panel discussion, featuring Robin Cutter (Director of IngramSpark), Jon Fine (Former Director of Author and Publisher Relations at Amazon), Kiera Parrott (Reviews Director at School Library Journal and Library Journal), L. Penelope (author) and Jim Blanton (Director of Louisville Free Public Library). Organized by BiblioBoard, Self-E and Library Journal; presented at MPL via live stream YouTube broadcast.
● 3 to 4 p.m.: Panel discussion on self-publishing and other topics of interest to emerging writers, featuring Robin Divine (author and consultant), Hank Quense (author and lecturer), Barry Sheinkopf (Director of Services at The Writing Center and Founder of Bookshapers), and Donna Baier Stein (author and teacher).
● 4 to 4:30 p.m.: Robert Blake Whitehill (author and screenwriter) short talk on adapting a novel into a screenplay.
● 4:30 to 5 p.m.: Author readings and promotions.
For more information, contact John Daquino at (973) 744-0500 ext. 2267 or firstname.lastname@example.org.