Support S.O.F.I.A. against domestic abuse by attending their annual walk.
Start Out Fresh Intervention Advocates (S.O.F.I.A.) is an organization dedicated to bringing awareness, prevention and healing to your community. Domestic violence is a big problem in America and throughout the world. S.O.F.I.A.’s focus is to create social change, thus leading to the eradication of Domestic Violence.
S.O.F.I.A.’s fifth annual walk against domestic violence will take place on Sunday, Sept. 12 at Canterbury Park, located on Canterbury Drive in Montclair, N.J. Registration begins at 9:00 a.m., and the walk begins at 10:00 a.m. Individual Participant registration costs $10, and Team Captain Registration is $35. For more information and registration forms call (862)-251-6791, or register online at www.supportsofia.org. Make checks payable to S.O.F.I.A./PO BOX 674 Montclair, N.J. 07042.
According to its founder, Cynthia Walker, the very nature of domestic violence, including the grooming and control abusers exact, often keeps those who need assistance from finding it. S.O.F.I.A. has several different programs to help achieve its goal of eradication of Domestic Violence, such as:
- PSP (Protect Shield Prosper) Program: Teen dating and Domestic Violence Outreach Program
- Bullying Presentations to various organizations and schools throughout the country
- Domestic Violence Support Groups
- Career and Life Workshops
- Advocacy and Supportive Services
- Legal Referral Assistance
- Referrals for temporary housing to “At Risk” women and children of domestic violence
The core values of S.O.F.I.A. are:
- Valuing integrity for each individual as unique and inherently worthwhile. Their goal is to build inner peace, independence, security and self-assurance with their clients.
- Valuing the rights of victims to make life decisions based on being fully informed of all their legal rights and options.
- Valuing the growth of their clients. They will commit to overseeing continuous personal improvement, encourage clear and constant focus and will help guide towards self-sufficiency.
- Valuing safety, privacy and justice for all of their clients, including both women and children.
S.O.F.I.A.’s goal is to help Women and Children of Domestic Violence become self-sufficient, positive and successful. Their mission is to provide advocacy, supportive services and temporary housing to “at risk” individuals. It is extremely important that this organization gets the support that it needs in order to foster its goals and mission. Protection and follow through with complaints should be a number one priority.
We have seen all too often the results of complaints of domestic abuse cases getting lost in the system far too often. Both in the past and even today, there is a culture of violence against women both in and out of our country. Some countries are more extreme than our own, but there are still violent crimes against women and children that need to be stopped.