MPL supports aspiring authors to write by hosting month-long NaNoWriMo program!
Since Montclair is a great place to live, work, and play, it’s no surprise that the Montclair Public Library will be participating in the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) for the fourth time! After all, Montclair is home to some well-known authors such as Roger Sedarat and Nancy Pi-Sunyer. This year, MPL is in partnership with The Write Group, where there’ll be a series of inspiring events that all writers and/or authors are encouraged to attend to better shape their writing passion.
“NaNoWriMo is a fantastic way for libraries to connect with their local writers and to help them achieve their goals. We are thrilled to host a number of events all November long and are excited to see the creative output.” said John Daquino, Information Specialist at Montclair Public Library.
NaNoWriMo is an annual novel writing project that brings together professional and amateur writers from all over the world. Beginning Nov. 1, participants begin working towards writing a 50,000 word novel by 11:50 P.M. on Nov. 30. Through NaNoWriMo, participants receive support and encouragement to ensure that the rough draft for their novels in November is completed.
The Write Group has a diverse set of writers with one common goal, and that is to encourage one another to continue to write. They believe in new voices and creating great books as they welcome anyone with a serious interest in writing. They host meetings and workshops for free to ensure that individuals are who truly enjoy writing can do so with them.
Below is the schedule of events:
- 11/3 – NaNoWriMo Strategies & Writing Exercises with Kyrce Swenson –7pm-9pm, Conference Room.
- 11/5 – Conducting Online Research for Your Writing with John Daquino –11am-12pm, Conference Room.
- 11/10 – How A Writing Group Can Help You Write with Carl Selinger of The Write Group – 7pm-8pm, Conference Room.
- 11/15 – The Art of Brevity: Writing Flash Fiction with David Galef – 7pm-8pm, Classroom.
- 11/19 – Converting Your Manuscript to an eBook with Hank Quense –12pm-1pm, Conference Room.
- 11/27 – NaNoWriMo Readings and Celebration – 2pm-4pm, Auditorium.