Restaurants will soothe your appetite.
Montclair is full of in-town families and students from Montclair State, all with one thing in common: staying within budget. Students are always trying to find somewhere quick and cheap to eat to avoid the long lines at the dining halls. Families also need these locations to put dinner on the table at a low cost. Luckily, shops all around Montclair give people many options when it comes to getting a great bite – and staying below budget with their numerous restaurants.
Pop in to any of these great restaurants for a delicious meal that won’t break the bank:
- Pizza and Sandwich Barn is a staple of Caldwell on Bloomfield Avenue. An enormous, inexpensive menu full of family favorites gives this place a lot of appeal. Pizza and Sandwich Barn serves multiple things, from salad to pasta to over 82 sandwiches. They are open until 10 p.m. from Sunday to Thursday and until 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. They have a catering menu that offers hot dishes and three and six foot subs.
- Located in Lackawanna Plaza is Pig and Prince, the perfect place for a delicious grilled or baked meal. Serving brunch and dinner options, Pig and Prince is sure to cater to anyone’s needs, whether this includes a lunch with friends or a dinner with the family. Aside from heavier meals including various meats,Pig and Prince also offers sandwiches such as grilled cheese or reubens – all for under 10 dollars. If you just want a place to relax among friends, sit on the patio on a nice day or visit their well-equipped bar. Pig and Prince is closed on Mondays and hours for dinner, brunch and the bar vary. For dinners on Tuesday through Thursday, the restaurant is open from 5 to 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 5 to 11 p.m. and Sunday from 5 to 9 p.m. The bar is open Tuesday through Saturday from 4 p.m. until close and on Sunday from 11 a.m. to close – perfect timing to stop in and watch the football game. Brunch is held on Sundays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- For a more casual pizza experience, check out Ah’ Pizz on Willow Street in Montclair. They are open seven days a week for lunch and dinner, with extended hours on the weekend. Ah’ Pizz is known for their wood-fired, brick oven pizza that is sure to give your mouth a delicious experience – without hurting your wallet. Aside from their lunch and dinner menus,Ah’ Pizz also runs weekly specials to help out customers and keep them coming back for more. Their specials are weekly and include special prices on various items, from appetizers to entrees alike. They also serve a gluten-free option with the pasta and pizza crust, if requested. For a nicer night out on the town, grab a table and pop open a bottle, as Ah’ Pizz is also BYOB/BYO.
- Alan’s Avenue Deli,located right on Bloomfield, is a hub for Montclairians. Not only are they right in the center of the city, but they also offer free delivery with an order of at least $15. Alan’s Avenue also does something quite unique – they offer a free lunch weekly to one special person, selected at random and posted on their website. Alan’s Avenue offers any type of sandwich you can imagine, from breakfast sandwiches to sloppy joes and anything in-between. Most sandwiches on their menu fall below the $10, with the only exceptions being the larger, full-sized sandwiches and subs. Celebrating 18 years in Montclair, Alan’s Avenue strives on “cooking on the premises using only the finest ingredients.”
- Need a little desert, or just want something sweet – and healthy? Check out Red Mango on Church Street. “Red Mango” is a frozen yogurt shop, noted for its all-natural frozen yogurt and smoothies. Mangoes are only ripe when they turn red, a shop name promoting the best ingredients the shop uses. Five dollars is worth it for a dessert you can feel good about and enjoy at the same time. Red Mango is 100% natural, non- and low-fat, gluten-free and kosher; the yogurts even have probiotics. Your payment is determined by the weight of your cup, which is a handful of change per ounce. Red Mango uses quality ingredients, and keeps things at a quality price.
There are so many shops and restaurants all around Montclair, but not many can take the task of filling your stomach without taking too much out of your wallet. Any of these places are sure to leave your taste buds tingling while still keeping your bank account happy.